Published: 02 December 2020

With wintery weather upon us and Christmas coming up, there are a number of changes to our environments that can mean danger for our pets, especially dogs which are out and about. The Blue Cross states that the top ten dangers to look out for are:

  • Swallowing tinsel or Christmas wrapping.
  • Eating Christmas chocolates – they can be poisonous to pets.
  • Chewing through fairy lights.
  • Eating or licking festive plants such as poinsettia and holly which can cause stomach problems and lilies and yew which can be fatal.
  • Eating human food; turkey bones can choke pets and a lot of Christmas treats are too rich for animals and can cause upset tummies. Grapes and raisins found in mince pies are also poisonous to dogs.
  • Crackers, party poppers and champagne corks which can spook animals and cause blockages if swallowed.
  • Pets licking up salt from the road or anti-freeze, both of which can be dangerous.
  • Freezing conditions which can leave pets with frostbite or hypothermia.
  • Pets falling into icy ponds.
  • Cats climbing into engines to escape from the cold and suffering burns.

We've First Aid for Dogs courses coming up in the near future (by Zoom if face-to-face isn't possible) so why not start a new year learning an essential skill? In fact, you can now learn at any time and at your own pace with our new online First Aid for Dogs course. Check out our various course option details and how to book.


  |   Blog archive »

Click to enlarge